Thursday, August 6, 2009

Korea Day 20

After work, Joann and I decided to head back to Insadong to do some shopping. This is my favourite area and I think it is also Joann's. I am not sure why, it is also a busy neighbourhood but it is an older part and a bit more traditional, according to the guidebooks. We got off the subway and were making our way to the shopping street that we like when we saw a guy with two little, adorable puppies. He was trying to sell them. I picked one up and wanted to keep it. Of course, I didn't. He is adorable, though!


We made our way to the shops and Joann was on a mission. We went in the first shop and I bought something small and Joann bought a few lovely things. I can't be specific as we were buying gifts! We went into the next store and, again, Joann was buying. The lady in the shop was soooo happy. She kept taking Joann's purchases and giving her a new bin for her next items and also showing her all kinds of items that she thought Joann might like. I also bought a few items. We then went to our favourite shop, the Korean Cultural Centre. I bought myself several sets of chopsticks and spoons, the staple cutlery here. We bought a few other things, I'm not even sure what at the moment but it was great fun.

We then found a little pottery place. I loved the pottery and could have bought just about everything in the shop. The shop was run by a little old Korean woman who had herself set up in the corner of her shop with a little stool, a kettle and tea and a small TV. The prices were great so Joann and I both bought a few pieces. She only took cash so I was limited and even ended up borrowing some cash from Joann.

Next we saw a little street booth where an elderly Korean man was making little metal bikes and airplanes from the wires that hold together clothes pins. His designs were great and the bike pedals moved and the propellers spun. He even had some of them hooked up to batteries with little motors so that the propellers spun and the pedals turned continuously. He even had a cyclist on a bike whose legs turned the pedals! We loved his stuff but were both out of cash and decided that we would have to go back.

We went to a pub, the Cass House, and had a cold beer before heading back to Anam and bed.

No comments: